Take Your Kids Everywhere
I joined Instagram two years ago and quickly realized how great it was for not just travel inspiration, but family travel inspiration. I love seeing the adventurous places that people take their kids, and even booked a trip to Indonesia’s Borobudur Temple in August with my 10-year-old because of an Instagram photo.
So in the spirit of giving back, here are 25 Instagram accounts that inspire me. Some are the accounts of people I’ve met while traveling. Some I’ve stumbled across. Some I’ve found because people engaged with me on my photos. And some got my attention by using my #takeyourkidseverywhere hashtag.
My specific criteria:
- At least 1/3 of the photos have kids in them. There’s nothing wrong with accounts focused on lifestyle or great photography, and I acknowledge that my photos sans kids can get better engagement than my kid shots, but those accounts aren’t necessarily inspirational to me from a family travel perspective. This knocked a lot of otherwise excellent accounts off this list.
- The photography is excellent.
- Kids are in the photos without being the photos. It’s fine if you have up-close snapshots of your child eating ice cream, but I’m a lot more inspired by a shot of a kid eating ice cream overlooking an amazing vista.
- The accounts have at least 100 photos.
- The engagement is between 1% and 4% (for larger accounts). I don’t want to highlight accounts that appear to be buying followers or likes or otherwise playing games. And yes, it’s usually easy to spot.
- There aren’t too many quotes, collages, cartoon characters, large watermarks, borders, selfies, food photos or Snapchat filters. I looked through hundreds of galleries and those were the things that distracted me the most.
If there are accounts that inspire you that meet these criteria and that aren’t listed below, please let me know about them in the comments. And it it’s your account, that’s great, but follow me and interact with me on Instagram too. It’s social media, and it’s far more fun when it’s truly social. I’ve met up with people throughout the world because of conversations that started on Instagram, but never because of a terse “follow my account” posting.
The Worldwide Webers
They took their daughter to 30 countries before the age of one and documented it all. And they’re still going.
Travel Photo Bloggers
Perfect photography in stunning locations.
Simply Beautiful Life
Lots of kid photos from a very cool nomadic adventure.
An Aussie family traveling to gorgeous places throughout Asia.
Our Travel Edventures
The travels of a family of four with an emphasis on education.
Strollering the Globe
Great photography, cool destinations, and their kids are in virtually all of their photos.
Mom in Zurich
Great photography from a Switzerland-based traveling mom.
Simple Family Travel
Very good photography from throughout Europe, but this photo locked in their inclusion!
World of Travels with Kids
An excellent family travel gallery, more about the places than their kids.
I still haven’t met Caz and Craig, but between their newsletters and Instagram account I feel like I know them. Always great photography.
A fun assortment of outdoorsy destinations.
Meraki Family Travel
Wanderlust at its best. Some gorgeous photos.
Mum Pack Travel
Great photos from very cool adventures
Really cool travels around the world and nicely documented.
Great photos and use of light. Always fun to see where they’re going.
Family Adventure Break
Always excellent photography. This account makes me want to take my kids outside more! The only exception to my 100-photo rule, but they’re close.
A beautiful Instagram gallery.
Pint Size Pilot
I love following Tara’s travels, and even met up with her this summer in Iceland.
Little Bali Love
This account does a great job of highlighting kid-friendly Bali – one of our favorite places.
Crazy Family Adventure
Traveling around the US in an RV with four kids full-time? Definitely crazy! Very well documented though.
Little Polar Explorers
So different from every other account. And so cool!
No Back Home
One of the only other parents crazy enough to let her child choose anywhere in the world to go! Always fun photography.
The Blonde Nomads
An adventurous Aussie family with perfect photography. I love their underwater shots.
These guys always look like they’re having fun!
Some really creative shots. A fun gallery.
If you’re not following me, please do! I love taking my kids to unusual destinations and inspiring others to do the same.